Add To Itinerary

Ales Run Wildlife Area

This 2,905-acre wildlife area is 3 miles east of Dexter City, traveling up County Road 2 to County Road 42 to gain access to the interior township roads. This area can be easily reached from Interstate 77 or from State Route 564 from Middleburg.

Nearly 60 percent of Ales Run was strip mined prior to modern reclamation laws (pre 1972). The resulting terrain is rugged and includes miles of highwalls and many acres of spoil banks that have reverted to brushlands and small trees. The remaining 40 percent is undisturbed and is a mixture of woodland and brushland habitat.

Within 5 miles of Ales Run is an additional 6,144 acres of the B&N Coal Inc. lands. A free permit is required to hunt B&N Coal, Inc. land. Permits are available from the District Four Headquarters of the Division of Wildlife, 360 East State Street, Athens, Ohio  45701-1895. Be sure to carry your permit while on the area.

Hunting is the major recreational use and popular secondary uses include berry picking, mushroom hunting, bird watching, photography, and hiking.
Address

Ales Run Wildlife Area
Noble County

near Dexter City, Ohio 45727

Phone Number(s)

Local Number: (740)589-9930

Special Hours: Call the Wildlife District Four Office at (740)589-9930 for information.

Website(s)

Homepage

Admission

FREE

Parking

FREE

Nearby...
Loading Data...
Next Month Previous Month October 2014
Select a date from above or try our
Event Calendar Search
Free publications read online or order print versions Online Travel Tools
Get Fit Naturally - ODNR

Stay Informed

Keep up-to-date with information from our custom Discover Ohio e-newsletters.

Email Address

Read Online Order Print Versions